ABOUT THE BOOK
Join our mailing list!
Get our latest book recommendations, author news, and competitions right to your inbox.
, and the transfer of my personal data to the United States, where the privacy laws may be different than those in my country of residence.
The door to Will's cherished plans has been closed forever. What now lies ahead for him? After an awful accident, fifteen-year-old Will must decide what to do with his life. As he discovers his talent, his sister, Cassie, also learns there are more opportunities a young woman can pursue. THEMES
Family life; Brothers and sisters; People with disabilities DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
• Why did Will's father tell him he could never be a farmer?
• What skill did Will acquire to help pass time?
• What kinds of opportunities were offered to Will in the city?
• Who did Will carve at the end of the story?
• How is life different in this book, set in the 1820s, than it is today?
• How do you think you would cope with such a disappointment as Will has in this book?
• How would the story be different if Will's accident occurred in modern times?
• What does it mean to "winter well"? How does this expression apply to Cassie and Will's story? ACTIVITIES
• Since Will enjoyed whittling animals, make your favorite animal out of molding clay.
• Make Dr. Theobold's wife's favorite flower, a rose.
• Serve cider and molasses cakes after reading the description from the book.
• Several topics for research are available in the Historical Notes and in the book: Wiscasset, Maine; early medical procedures; Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell; Thanksgiving; New England farming techniques; ship figureheads; apothecaries.
• Design/sketch a figurehead you'd like to see on a ship.
This reading group guide is for classroom, library, and reading group use. It may be reproduced in its entirety or excerpted for these purposes.
Prepared by Lori Swiercinsky
© William Allen White Children's Book Award
Please visit http://www.emporia.edu/libsv/wawbookaward/ for more information about the awards and to see curriculum guides for other master list titles.