Join our mailing list!
Get our latest book recommendations, author news, and competitions right to your inbox.
, and the transfer of my personal data to the United States, where the privacy laws may be different than those in my country of residence.
A Reading Group Guide to Pies & Prejudice
Book 4 in The Mother-Daughter Book Club series
by Heather Vogel Frederick Discussion Questions
1. Do you have a favorite character after reading the first four Mother-Daughter Book Club books? Who are you most like?
2. What did you know about Jane Austen before reading Pies & Prejudice
? Are you now interested in reading her work?
3. Have you ever lived outside of the United States? Where would you want to live?
4. With Emma moving away, the girls are worried they won’t be as close. Have you ever had a friend move away? How did you stay in touch?
5. Emma has some trouble with the new girls at her school. Have you ever felt bullied? How did you handle it?
6. While Emma and her family are in England, Simon and Tristan’s family move into the Hawthornes’ house in Concord. How would you feel if your family swapped houses with someone else?
7. Jess tries out for a solo and doesn’t get it. Have you ever tried out for something you really wanted? How did you do?
8. Megan starts a fashion blog. Do you have a blog? Have you ever thought about starting one? If so, what would it be about?
9. Megan stays anonymous when writing her blog Fashionista Jane
, and Jane Austen published her novels anonymously. Why do you think Megan decided to do that? What would you do? How do you think Megan’s decision to write anonymously is different than what Jane did? Have you ever done something anonymously? If so, why?
10. Jess rescues a wild fox. Have you ever seen an injured wild animal? Did you do anything to help it? Once the animal heals, Jess has a hard time letting her go. Have you ever had to say good-bye to someone or something when you didn’t want to?
11. The girls decide to start a pie-making business. Do you like to bake? What can you make?
12. Moody Tristan is a modern-day Mr. Darcy. Is there anyone in your life who resembles a character from literature? Explain.
13. Mrs. Chadwick believes something in Mrs. Hawthorne’s book is about her and gets offended. Have you ever upset someone unintentionally? Is there anyone that you think would make a great character in a book?
14. Pies & Prejudice
is a pun on the Jane Austen title Pride and Prejudice
. Are there any businesses in your town that use puns? Can you think of other clever business names using any of Jane Austen’s other books?
15. The book club visits the town where Jane Austen lived and sees the church where her father preached. Is there any famous person, alive or dead, whose hometown you would like to visit? Why?
16. Cassidy deals with a very sad loss after Mrs. Bergson dies, but her memorial is a celebration of her life. Has anyone close to you passed away? How did you get through it?
17. Mrs. Bergson leaves some generous gifts to Concord and the Mother-Daughter Book Club. If you could give a present to anyone you wanted, what would it be? Why?
18. Are there any other books you wish the Mother-Daughter Book Club would read? This guide has been provided by Simon & Schuster for classroom, library, and reading group use. It may be reproduced in its entirety or excerpted for these purposes.