Join our mailing list!
Get our latest book recommendations, author news, and competitions right to your inbox.
, and the transfer of my personal data to the United States, where the privacy laws may be different than those in my country of residence.
A Reading Group Guide to Home for the Holidays
Book 5 in The Mother-Daughter Book Club series
by Heather Vogel Frederick Discussion Questions
1. This was the first book in the Mother-Daughter Book Club series to include chapters told from Becca’s perspective. Did these chapters change your opinion of her at all? Why or why not?
2. Do you think you will read the Betsy-Tacy series, now that you’ve read this book? Do you think you would find the characters in the Betsy-Tacy series as relatable as the girls in the Mother-Daughter Book Club did?
3. Do you usually spend the holidays with your family or friends? What is your favorite holiday memory?
4. In the Betsy-Tacy high school books, Betsy is torn between Joe Willard, who’s handsome and smart but kind of aloof, and Tony Markham, who’s handsome and funny but has a wild side. Who would you choose? Why?
5. Maud Hart Lovelace always knew she wanted to be a writer. Have you ever felt that way about a certain profession? Have you taken any steps toward your goal?
6. Betsy is based on Maud herself, and Tacy is based on her childhood best friend. Do you like reading novels that were based on real people? Would you like it if one of your friends wrote a book about you?
7. Do you have a friend whom you would consider your Tacy? If so, what makes you two so close?
8. Do you and your friends have secret words and phrases like “Winona eyes” and “snoggestion”? What are some of them? Did you find yourself adopting any of the Betsy-Tacy words?
9. Megan was devastated when Simon broke up with her. Have you ever been in a relationship that ended before you wanted it to? How did you handle it? Were you able to talk to your mother or friends about it?
10. Cassidy and her family originally moved from Laguna Beach to Concord; in this book, they consider moving back. Have you and your family ever had to move? After you moved, did you keep your friends from where you used to live?
11. Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa? Were there any mishaps? Did you or any of your friends try to rig the drawing, the way Megan and Becca tried to?
12. Have you ever gone on a trip with a friend? Did you get along the whole time?
13. Has anyone close to you ever lost their job? How did that feel? How did you help them deal with it?
14. Why do you think Mr. and Mrs. Chadwick initially respond to the gifts with anger?
15. Jess was very upset to see Emma and Felicia become friends. Have you ever felt left out?
16. Megan manages to put her hurt feelings aside when she realizes that Becca and her family need her help. If you were in Megan’s situation, how would you react? This guide has been provided by Simon & Schuster for classroom, library, and reading group use. It may be reproduced in its entirety or excerpted for these purposes.