The Magic of Food
FOOD HAS ALWAYS BEEN MAGICAL to me. Food nourishes, heals, comforts, inspires, and brings us joy throughout our lives. There’s nothing else that has this kind of power. Even after a lifetime of studying food and nutrition, I am still awed by the inherent magic of nature and the food that she gives us. Now a new era of food awareness is emerging; people are concerned as much about healthfulness and diversity of foods as they are about flavor. Healthier foods are now being served everywhere from high-end white-tablecloth restaurants to fast-food chains, from airport concessions to mall food courts. Convenience stores and mainstream grocery stores are also improving the quality of food they stock.
With the epidemic of obesity, diabetes, cancer, and other diet-related diseases exploding, not just in the United States but also worldwide, improvements in the quality of food we eat cannot happen soon enough. I believe that food is going to become a primary form of medicine, even as eating good food remains one of life’s great pleasures. We will be able to tailor what we eat to our unique dietary requirements and health goals and still please our palates.
Through The Magic of Food, my goal is to stir your passion for healthful eating and inspire you to make the right choices for your well-being. I have packed The Magic of Food with sound, medically based information to lead you on a journey on which you will discover the remarkable ways in which food can have a magical, yet real, impact on your body, mind, and health.
One of the major concepts in The Magic of Food is “synergetics.” Simply put, synergetics is how different foods and dietary factors work together to achieve a positive effect greater than the sum of each individual factor. So, in this case 1 + 1 + 1 does not equal 3 but something much greater.
The Magic of Food
• Explains the principles of the world’s healthiest diets and latest science of nutrition
• Clarifies the revolutionary application of the effects of food on genetic expression
• Explains why phytochemicals are the “vitamins” of the twenty-first century and reveals my seven favorite superfoods
• Details which foods to eat as well as which ones to avoid for your health and total well-being
• Offers advice on which supplements to take and how much of them when you can’t get all of your nutrition from food
• Includes recipes and a meal plan for the Synergetic Diet
The Magic of Food brings together the latest scientific information about how specific foods work together to make you healthier and still give you the satisfaction and delight that you expect from the food you eat.
In good health,
Michael T. Murray, ND DoctorMurray.com