A step-by-step guide to accessing the body deva, your body consciousness, for physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual healing
• Details how to dialogue with the consciousness of your body to heal a variety of issues, from physical pains to limiting beliefs
• Explains how our bodies, consciousness, and spirit are interconnected and how our physical bodies hold emotions and past traumas
• Explores how to work with the body deva to heal spiritual patterns through the physical body, including techniques of ancestral healing, past life healing, and karmic resolution
We are not our pain or our disease, nor are we defined by our limitations, restrictions, or the labels given to us. We are a whole body, a consciousness, and a spiritual being. As a holistic, interconnected being, our emotions, beliefs, physical pain, past traumas, and even imbalances created through spiritual issues are held within our physical form. By accessing them through the physical body with the body deva--the spiritual consciousness of our human body--we can heal the continuum of mind, body, and spirit. Understanding this is the true key to healing.
In this step-by-step guide to understanding and working with the body deva, the consciousness of your body, Mary Mueller Shutan explains how our bodies hold the traumatic energies, emotions, physical issues, and restricting beliefs that cause us pain and feelings of disconnection. She details how to make contact and dialogue with your body deva to heal a variety of issues, from physical pains to ancestral and past life patterns to limiting ideas about what we can accomplish in this world. By working with the body deva, she shows how we can discover the reasons why our pain, beliefs, or imbalances developed and resolve them to heal mind, body, and spirit, every layer of our being. She explores how to work with the archetypes, labels, limiting beliefs, and myths that underlie our unique history and reasons for being. Shutan also examines how to work with the body deva to heal spiritual patterns through the physical body, including techniques of ancestral healing, past life healing, and karmic resolution.
By learning to dialogue with the body deva, you can understand who you are on the deepest levels. You can learn why your pain and imbalances came to be and what lies unhealed within you. You can evolve beyond the limitations and restrictions in your body and your life and evolve into greater health, connection, joy, and consciousness.
Just as we may have made written or oral agreements with our work, landlords, or others, we are continually energetically engaged in the creation of agreements with ourselves and others. The difference with an energetic contract is that they are primarily subconscious– we are not fully conscious when taking on a contract that we are shifting our beliefs and perceptions as well as our identity and outer reality.
An energetic contract is an agreement that results in a change of perception or a taking on of roles or responsibilities…
Releasing Held Contracts
It is likely by this point you have thought about a contract that you may have. If you do not have a specific contract that you would like to work on, you can also ask your body deva to show you where in your body a contract may be held.
• Ask your body deva to highlight or show you where this specific contract (or where a contract is if you are keeping things open or do not know of one) is held in your body
• Do a body scan and note areas of your body that you are drawn to or seem highlighted to you - If multiple areas show up, ask your body deva which is most important to work on, to work on first, or to work on today • Ask the body deva or the individual consciousness of the body part that you have found what the contract is that is held there
• Simply sit until you get a clear sense of what this contract may be - This may not be a clear understanding. This may be a sense of knowing, a picture, or something that doesn’t compute with what you have experienced in this world. Simply note whatever comes up, no matter how strange - Continue to ask this part of your body for more information: tell me more until you get a sense of what this contract may be
• Ask the consciousness of your body: what belief or understanding about myself, the world, or about people (men or women) is held here? - If what comes through is unclear, again ask to be told more - If there is resistance, you can move to working with the resistant part of yourself - If there is lack of clarity, you may simply need to do a few sessions with this body part (you can return another day) to find out what is going on. Often we need to “digest” information when it becomes conscious, and so whatever we can become conscious of concerning a contract, even if it seems vague, is a wonderful starting point.
• You will ask the consciousness of this body part to tell you about the circumstances of what happened. - Who was involved? - How old was I? - If this were a scene on a television, what would be going on in that scene?
• What is the contract here? - We are asking again for purposes of clarity, and to get as close to the wording of the contract that we created as possible. - Remember that a contract is often a belief that you have on some level agreed to and taken on. This can be taken on directly or in reaction.
• If the information that you are receiving does not come in context with your experiences here (it was passed down to you), you can either choose to continue if you have the capacity to pick up information, or may choose to inquire as to where the information is coming from - Ask your body deva or the individual consciousness of the body part if it is ancestral (family) or past life - Remember, when you ask your body slowly (pausing between each choice) there will be an indicator (typically a sense of knowing or a change in energy in the area of the body you are exploring) that will indicate which choice (past life or family/ancestral) is correct. - Occasionally there are multiple contracts. If this is the case, you will ask if any are from your timeline, or your experiences here, and work on those first. - If it is from beyond your own experiences here you still want to get a sense of what was happening, the beliefs created, and the agreement that was formed. The work in further chapters will more helpfully guide you to and through this process.
• Once you know what the contract is, and largely what age, you will consider if you need the contract. Do you need it fully, partially, or not at all? - Ask the consciousness of your body for guidance about this. We would all like to release anything that restricts us, but we may not be fully ready to. - Respecting the body and offering compassion will allow for contracts to change more readily than forcing things to leave.
• If you do not want the contract at all, you will visualize yourself at the appropriate age to the best of your abilities and let her know that you understand why the contract was formed, but that she no longer needs it any more.
• Ask your individual body part/consciousness if it realizes that it is holding on to an outdated contract
• Ask that the individual consciousness of the body part you are working with clear the contract
• Ask that the body deva (the consciousness of your body as a whole) release the contract more fully as well as integrate that body part with the rest of your body map to whatever extent it is able to
Mary Mueller Shutan is a spiritual healer and teacher with an extensive background in Chinese Medicine, CranioSacral therapy, Zero Balancing, and energy work. She is the author of The Spiritual Awakening Guide, The Complete Cord Course, The Body Deva, and Managing Psychic Abilities. Mary lives near Chicago, Illinois.
“The Body Deva is a lovely guide for people coming from any level of experience, discipline, or disconnection to learn to access and embrace the wisdom of their own body.”
– Christina Pratt, shamanic healer and teacher, author of An Encyclopedia of Shamanism
“The Body Deva is simply a great book. Through a series of simple-to-do visualizations, Shutan leads the reader on a powerful and effective journey toward self-understanding, self-healing, and self-liberation. Her writing is filled with deep wisdom and insights, which make the journey she invites us to take a trustworthy and safe one. Highly recommended.”
– Robert Henderson, author of Emotion and Healing in the Energy Body
“Mary is a gifted and compassionate teacher, and this book is ideal for anybody ready to move beyond the mentality of the quick fix. The exercises may appear surprisingly simple on the page, but working through them with patience and focus reveals their potency and their depth. The Body Deva is of great value as a workbook for self-healing, as a compendium of healing techniques, and as a guide toward an expanded view of the self.”
– Jonathon Howard Katz, composer and pianist
“Mary Mueller Shutan provides a body-aware and trauma-informed approach to ancestral and cultural healing in The Body Deva. Her work brings humility and respect for diverse kinds of life experience in a way that is much needed in contemporary spiritual circles.”
– Daniel Foor, PH.D., author of Ancestral Medicine
“The Body Deva is a beautiful introduction for creating a compassionate relationship with your body and understanding the incredible capacity for health and well-being that exists within each of us. Mary is truly gifted at providing vocabulary and understanding of how to access your own inner body deva and live a more balanced, connected life.”
– Jeanne Gorham, craniosacral therapist
“All of Mary Shutan’s work is brilliant. Her fourth book, The Body Deva, may very well be her best thus far. This book allows the reader to connect with their own body’s wisdom in a grounded way that is an important step to greater self-connection and spiritual growth. There is a lot of material available that takes a person’s spiritual journey outside of themselves; The Body Deva brings you back into yourself.”
– Alexis Edwards, doctor of Oriental medicine and intuitive healer
Get our latest book recommendations, author news, and competitions right to your inbox.
More books from this author: Mary Mueller Shutan
Thank you for signing up, fellow book lover!
Tell us what you like, so we can send you books you'll love.