"Drawing is a powerful act that can tap into a deep-seated, intuitive process involved with creativity and the emotional life. Elaine Clayton's Making Marks facilitates intuition, releasing the mind to discover new ideas, creative inspiration and unexpected solutions."
– Dr. Raymond Moody, MD, PhD
"When you pick up a pencil and allow yourself the freedom to make marks and lines, your hand can unlock deeply held memories and emotions which are beyond words. In Making Marks, Elaine Clayton describes her original process for awakening the reader's creative, intuitive awareness. Whether or not you think you have artistic talent, this book will give you the self-confidence to explore your own hidden potentials."
– Laurie Nadel, PhD, bestselling author of Sixth Sense: Unlocking Your Ultimate Mind Power
"This is a remarkable book. It shows how a universal urge—to make marks—can be a doorway to dimensions of consciousness of which we're unaware in our waking life."
– Larry Dossey, MD, author of One Mind and The Science of Premonitions
"The benefits of art practice is not limited to producing a work of art. It is a way of finding the space between rational thinking and intuitive discovery. This wonderful book is a guide to help everyone locate and explore the space in-between."
– Marshall Arisman, painter, illustrator and educator
"Elaine Clayton shows us how the value of drawing for pure pleasure can transform our lives."
– Marga Odahowski, Director of Studies, International Residential College at Univ. of Virginia
"Elaine Clayton reminds us all that the simple act of mark making can be a generative act. She unpacks the contemporary mental constructs that obscure the power of drawing first discovered by our earliest human ancestors, and invites us through this primal activity to dive back into the well of the possible."
– Maria Artemis, internationally known sculptor
"A wonderful vacation from everyday life and mind awaits you in this book. Set the lines free and see where you go!"
– Karen Rauch Carter, author of Make a Shift, Change Your Life!
"Elaine Clayton knows how to blend her huge artistic talent in her book, with our inner consciousness and genetic spiritual nature, resulting in the positive emotional rewards we all seek."
– James D. Baird, PhD, author of Happiness Genes
"With her wise insights, engaging sketches, and easy-to-follow exercises, Elaine Clayton has made me a convert of 'stream drawing,' or intuitive drawing. Making Marks is a magical toolkit for exploring our deeper, instinctual selves that I recommend to anyone wanting to live life more richly and joyfully."
– Mary Reynolds Thompson, author of Embrace Your Inner Wild and Reclaiming the Wild Soul
"As a dream expert who dabbles in art, I love this book! Its deep and delightful insights evoke the glee of a child sliding down a bannister as you ride into a greater awareness of yourself and the ties that bind your creativity and intuition. This book connects you to your soul."
– Stase Michaels, author of The Bedside Guide to Dreams and Two Minute Dream Techniques
"A genuine 'how-to', the book is filled with exercises that invite readers to experiment with drawing in different ways...A freeing, comprehensive, fully illustrated guide to the inside."
– Ilene Cooper, Booklist