This reading group guide for Two Weeks includes an introduction, discussion questions and ideas for enhancing your book club. The suggested questions are intended to help your reading group find new and interesting angles and topics for your discussion. We hope that these ideas will enrich your conversation and increase your enjoyment of the book.Introduction
Join our mailing list!
Get our latest book recommendations, author news, and competitions right to your inbox.
From #1 New York Times
bestselling author Karen Kingsbury comes a heart-wrenching and redemptive new story in the Baxter family series about a couple desperately waiting to bring their adopted child home and a young mother about to make the biggest decision of her life.Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. Share about a time when you were in a difficult situation. In what ways could you relate to Elise?
2. Tell of a situation when you helped or rescued someone in trouble. How did that work out? Why?
3. Why do you think Cole was so quick to stand by Elise—even forever?
4. Elise changed her mind often. What decision would you make if you were in her spot?
5. Do you agree with Elise’s decision? Why or why not?
6. What are your feelings about adoption? Explain.
7. Ashley was quick to think Cole might’ve been the father of Elise’s baby. Tell of a time when you jumped to conclusions. What did you learn from that?
8. Ashley goes through all the emotions of seeing Cole off to college. Have you or has someone you know gone through this type of goodbye? Tell about that experience.
9. Do you know anyone who has struggled with infertility? Talk about their journey.
10. In general, do you relate more to Aaron or Lucy? Explain.
11. Have you prayed for something that didn’t happen the way you hoped? Talk about it.
12. How is it possible to have faith in God, even when your prayers don’t get answered the way you like?
13. Vienna’s accident happened without warning. Tell of a tragedy in your life or the life of someone you know. How do you get through a personal nightmare?
14. How can faith in God help you survive a tragedy? Give practical examples.
15. Read John 16:33 in the Bible. What do these words mean to you? Are they comforting? Why or why not?Enhance Your Book Club
1. Cole was a true friend till the end with Elise. Talk about a friend like that in your life. What sets that person apart?
2. Cole is a giver, kind to those in need. What can you do to spread kindness in your family, neighborhood or workplace?
3. The goodbye between Cole and Elise was difficult. Tragic almost. When has a goodbye deeply affected you? Talk about it.
4. As Cole sets off for college and a life of new beginnings, he feels sad. But also hopeful. What new experiences are up ahead for you? Have you ever thought of finding fresh opportunities and possibilities at your local church?
5. How did God help Theo and Alma because of their decision to care for a baby girl during those two weeks? What does the phrase “beauty from ashes” mean to you?